Friday 27 March 2009

Winter League Finale

No excuses - just a few days after I get back home there is an organised race on a flat track! Time to dust off the trainers I think :)

The race in question is the HSBC Winter Walking League, the final round of which takes place on Sunday morning at the NSC. All the details are as usual online at manxharriers.com - there are the standard 10k and 5k options for the seniors and 5, 3 and 1k for the juniors.

I've had minimal involvement in the winter league this year, having only been home for one of the rounds back in January. That was the first short-distance race I had ever entered, and had no idea what to expect, but everyone is very welcoming and friendly so if you're feeling in the mood for some walking this weekend then I'd encourage you to give it a try even though it is the last round (plus the fact that the NSC course is not too demanding.)

To get in the groove for Sunday I had planned to have a few laps of the NSC last night but had forgotten that there was a veterans race taking place. I did manage football on Wednesday though, which was a good session, so it's not as if I haven't done anything physical this week.

The weekend is going to be a departure from normal routine for me. I've got a football match on Sunday instead of Saturday (because the IOM national team have a game tomorrow.) The kick-off on Sunday is at 2.30 so I intend to do the walk in the morning, go home for lunch and a bath and then go out to the game. I'm not expecting 90 minutes, and even if I was, I doubt I would be able to manage it after doing the walk in the morning. But we'll see how it goes. Tomorrow I've got to get out to South Barrule to check up on a letterbox hidden up there, so I'll get a decent hill walk there.

I think tonight will be devoted to catching up with friends in town and trying to avoid the ridiculous beer prices. I have missed driving whilst being away, so there is prefect justification to take the car and have a few lemonades tonight.

No comments: